Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy "Forever Family" Day

One year ago TODAY, I met Miss Sabah for the very first time. Oh what a wonderful day that was. I remember the anticipation very WELL. The drive to the orphanage with the other two families was so surreal. We were all so quiet, just taking in the scenary. We had all arrived the night before, in the dark, and so this was our first time seeing the "real Ethiopia". We of course were all so anxious to get to Toukoul to see our wee ones. We were running late, and so were a little upset that we would only get to spend about an hour with our babies, but we were excited none the less. As we approached the blue gates to Toukoul, you could have heard a pin drop. We all had so many emotions going through us that no one knew what to say.

We pulled into the orphanage, and piled out of the van and proceeded to wait..and wait....and wait....and wait. The nannies were busy getting the babies ready. We were busy being impatient as the nannies got the babies ready. We couldn't understand what was taking so long. Then, from around the corner comes the first baby. Little Weredesh. We all cried as they placed her in Lisa's arms for the first time. Leah and I were still waiting for our little girls to make their appearance. We waited and waited and waited for what seemed like an eternity. And just when I thought I couldn't wait another second, there she comes. Sabah and Aslynn, in their nannies arms, coming toward us. I was about to jump out of my skin. The nanny holding Sabah made her way over to me, and handed me MY DAUGHTER. My precious baby girl, who I had longed for for so so long. She was finally in my arms. There are very few perfect moments in this world, but the first time your child is placed in your arms (whether from birth or from adoption), it is so magical and so perfect and there is nothing else in the world that can top it.

Happy Forever Family Day Sabah. I'll never forget the moment you were placed in my arms, and we officially became a family.....a little family of two.

Here is a short video of that precious moment.....



And here is a video of my little sproutling a year later....Dancing in the living room....


And a picture of us THEN:

And a picture of us NOW:

6 comments:

veggiemom said...

Happy Forever Family Day!!!

Becky and Naing said...

that brought tears to my eyes, so sweet that moment!

Cory, Lisa, and Weredesh said...

Bawling through the whole thing. I remember that day so well!!! Seems like yesterday, yet long ago at the same time...

~ lisa

Mona said...

Oh My! I can't believe it's been an entire year. I re-lived my memories as I watched your video. And WOW, she sure has grown up.

Anonymous said...

How very sweet! I think I found your blog right around the time you were bringing Sabah home. It looks like you guys have had a wonderful year together.

-Alisha J

Amber said...

What a special day and I love the new picture of you guys! Happy Holidays! Be Blessed!