Monday, July 19, 2010

Two Year Photos

On Saturday, I took Sabah down to get her hair professionally braided for the first time. I was so excited to get her hair cornrowed so that I didn't have to mess with it for a couple of weeks. It can be very time consuming in the morning to comb through her hair. She has beautiful curly hair, but it definitely takes a lot of work.

So we get to the salon, and the stylist parts her hair all out and does the first row. She then stops and tells me that Sabah has such soft curls, that she can't guarantee that the cornrows are going to last even a day. We discussed her hair type for quite a while and turns out that although Sabah can of course get cornrows, they will never last more than a few days. No two weeks plus for us! So then the question was, does she want me to go ahead and spend the time and money for only a few days worth of wear. We decided to do it because Sabah had pictures the next day and I REALLY wanted her hair braided for them. We did decide to only cornrow the front half of her hair, leaving the back in little puffs (that we actually ended up braiding with a regular braid). The stylist said this would last a little longer and I would only have to re-braid the puffs in the back.

Anyway, the braids turned out super dupery cute and Sabah was SO good during the braiding session. The stylist turned on cartoons for her and Sabah was in heaven (she doesn't get to watch cartoons very often). A couple of times she got a pouty lip because it hurt a little, but absolutely no tears (which is amazing for my over emotional child).

After she was done, the stylist gave a mirror to Sabah and the smile on Sabah's face when she saw her hair was PRICELESS. She couldn't stop looking at herself, and her smile was bigger than usual. We then showed her how to shake her head to make the braids move. Oh, my....my child was in seventh heaven. I was so proud of how well she did.

The next day, we headed down to get her two year pictures done. Back in November, when we had our Christmas pictures done, Sabah cried....THE ENTIRE SESSION. So, I was VERY hesitant to take her in for her two year pictures. Like I've mentioned before, she is over emotional and cries at the blink of an eye (although, to give her credit, in the last 4 weeks or so, she has been soooooooooo much better about this. I think as her vocabulary grows, her crying decreases). Anyway, we went in, and thanks to a wonderful staff at the photo place, we made it through the session with only one bout of crying. We had A LOT of lip pouting, but only tears the one time. We also got some stubborness, where she would NOT smile at ALL. But, it was a very successful photo shoot....I can tell, because I couldn't decide which shots to choose from. Below are the scanned photos that I chose. They didn't scan very well (I'm so technilogically challenged), but oh well.