Thursday, December 18, 2008

Life with Baby

Well, it's been 11 days since we've been home, and we're finally settling in with a routine and feeling like there is some normalcy to life. It was a very hectic crazy week trying to get use to this time zone, and trying to get well.

Sabah is finally on a decent sleep schedule. She goes to bed around 5:30 at night and I don't hear a peep from her until about 5:30 in the morning. I'm trying to get her to a 7pm to 6am schedule, but I'm in no hurry. We just try to add 10 minutes to each night.

I no longer need to give her a bottle in the middle of the night. I do however, usually have to change a poopy diaper around midnight. There were times there in the beginning that I wanted to just let her sleep through without changing her, I was soooo tired....but don't worry, I NEVER did that. I'm also very happy to report that the blowouts have stopped and we are both thrilled about that.

Sabah is a very happy baby. She is so serious though, and tends to be a bit stingy with her smiles. She'll smile, but then she will get all serious again. And so far, I have yet to hear this girl giggle. She's gotten close a few times, but no actual giggles yet. How my heart will smile when I hear her giggle for the first time.

Her first pediatric appointment was last Thursday and the pediatrician was very pleased at how healthy she was. She is 50th percentile for height and weight (which means by Ethiopian standards she was closer to 95%.....she was the chubbiest baby at the orphanage....followed close behind by Rebecca F's baby girl) :)

Her extra finger is not going to be a serious removal as there is no bone connecting it to her hand. Her pediatrician didn't feel comfortable tying it off (and just have it fall off) because of her age (she's only done it on newborns), so she referred us to a pediatric surgeon, who she ways will probably just tie it off. I'm just glad it isn't going to require surgery.

We've been homebound since Sunday (with only a couple VERY SHORT outings) because of the snow, and we are both getting cabin fever. Sabah loves to be out and about and I can't wait for this freaky weather to leave us so we can go on some adventures.

Well, that's about it for an update on me and Sabah. I'll update more about the Ethiopia trip tonight (or tomorrow night).Such a happy girl (and slobbery)
Cousins

Eli Lovin on Sabah

She rolls around like CRAZY.....she's going to be crawling soon.

8 comments:

veggiemom said...

Yay! Glad all went well with the doc. Hopefully you can be out and about soon.

Bennett said...

Thank you so much for the post on my blog. I do plan to keep my new found friend very close. Your daughter is so cute. I have to catch up on your blog.

Celeste

Amber said...

sooo cute! I am glad no more blow outs. Those could not have been fun!

Sounds like you are really getting the hang of motherhood.

Cory, Lisa, and Weredesh said...

Glad to hear everything is getting back to normal. It's starting to here too...that first week back was NUTS!


~ lisa

Anonymous said...

She is a beauty!!! I haven't had to read all your current posts about the trip as I spent so long staring at her beautiful photos...am off to bed but will catch up on reading on the weekend. I am still waiting...Hope you are enjoying the snow! We have some up here in BC - I LOVE IT!!!

Rebecca and Andrew said...

Precious as always! An yep, she's got the drool going on!
I've gotta cuddle that girl again soon! It helps pass the time until we get ours home. I look at the pics we took (of Sabah) all the time. I'll send them to you as soon as I get a chance!

Robbin Hopkins said...

Tania she is so cute.. definitely a big baby!

Robbin

Angela said...

Oh My!

What a cute little roley poley baby girl. Those jaws are made for kisses.