Monday, March 23, 2009

Meet Habtam

Like many many other adoptive parents who have traveled to Ethiopia, I returned with a heavy heart. I fell in love with the country and it's people and especially ALL the children. And since I have been home, I can not get the children out of my mind. I'm not financially able to adopt another child right now, but I can do something for at least ONE child in Ethiopia. Habtam is not an orphan, but she does need my help. She just turned 10 years old on May 17th, and she lives in Addis Ababa with her mother. Her father abandoned the family when she was young, and her mother works as a daily laborer to earn enough money to feed her daughter and other children. She does not have enough money to buy school supplies, clothing, or other basic necessities. But I do. And believe me, I'm struggling as a single parent, and paying for daycare for Sabah. But I have enough to buy her food, diapers, clothes, and even a new toy or two (or three). So, I know that I can find a way to sponsor this beautiful girl, and hopefully give her some hope for her future. According to her profile report, she is a healthy and active child who goes to elementary school. She enjoys playing hide and seek with her friends. I hope that one day, when Sabah and I return to Ethiopia for a visit, we will get to meet this little girl and her mother, and will be able to witness with our own eyes, what sponsorship can do for others.

My sponsoring her won't change the world....but maybe, just maybe, it will change this little girls life, and maybe SHE will go on to change the world.

1 comment:

veggiemom said...

Lovely! I love to see people giving back to the countries that gave us our most precious gifts.