Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Swimming Lessons and Other Stuff

Yesterday Sabah had her first swimming lesson at Matt Dishman Community Pool. I had a feeling she would like it because she LOVES her bath time, but I was ill prepared for HOW much she would like it. Let me just say that this child is a fish!!! She was slightly hesitant at first, I think mostly because of the temperature of the water, but once she got in there and started kicking and splashing around, she just wouldn’t stop. It was so darn cute and I really enjoyed seeing her have so much fun. We are definitely going to be spending a lot of time at the pool this summer.

Being a single mom, I had no one to take pictures of her in the pool, but I did get one of her in the locker room (actually, you aren’t supposed to take pictures in the locker room, but no one was around, so I snuck one in). I’m going to ask the parents of the other baby in the class if they can take pictures and e-mail me some (they were taking TONS of their daughter).



Other happenings worth noting:

Sabah is getting her top two front teeth. One is coming in faster than the other, so she has a lopsided smile. It’s so cute. She had a rough time cutting these two teeth…..runny nose, diaper rash (her first one ever), crabbiness. It was not fun. But, once they cut through the gums, she was much much happier….and so was I.


She is also starting to want to stand on her own, and will let go of whatever she is holding onto, to see how long she can balance. It is all of about 2-3 seconds at this point, but it is so exciting for both of us. She gets so excited that she actually GIGGLES! And for anyone who keeps up on this blog, you know that Sabah does not giggle. Oh, she is a happy, smiley baby, but she does not giggle. So it is really exciting to see her laughing. Her 1st birthday is in three weeks and I am betting that she will be walking by then….she is soooooo close.



This girl still continues to eat like a horse. She is hardly interested in her bottle anymore, and I have a tough time getting her to drink all her formula. I even dropped her from three 8 oz bottles down to three 6 oz bottles and she STILL does not want to finish them. As soon as she turns one, she is getting switched to whole milk, and we will start switching her to a sippy cup. I can’t believe how fast she is growing up and how much she is changing.

We are going to Great Wolf Lodge in Olympia, WA this weekend to celebrate my nephews 6th birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIJAH), and I am really looking forward to it. Great Wolf Lodge is an indoor water park, and since I now know Sabah LOVES the water, I think it is going to be a blast. I’m not looking forward to parading around in my swimming suite all weekend, but will suck it up to enjoy the time with Sabah and nephews. Oh the things we do for our children.

On Mother’s Day (my first mother’s day), my parents will be in Portland and we will celebrate Sabah’s birthday, Elijah’s birthday, and of course Mother’s Day. It is going to be one busy weekend. I’ll be sure to take lots of pictures.

I don’t know yet what I will do on Sabah’s actual birthday. It’s a workday, so we will probably just celebrate with an Ethiopian dinner and a small cake.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE your video Tania. Sabah is too cute!

Mona said...

Good Job, Sabah! Look at you standing all by yourself. I love hearing you giggle and babble.

Tania, about bathing suits - I'm going to draw the line before that. No swim suit - shorts and a T-shirt maybe, but no suit. Sorry Janissa!

Happy Birthday to Eli. And take lots of pictures at the water park.

Amber said...

What a great video! Yeah Sabah!!!!! They are growing to fast! I am not ready for it.

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

What a big girl! She looks SO cute in her bathing suit- I love the little belly:o) Happy Mother's Day to you!