Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sabah Turned One!

I can't believe it, but my baby turned one yesterday. We actually celebrated her birthday on Mother's day, so yesterday we just had a low key celebration....just my baby and me. We tried a new Ethiopian Restaurant, The Blue Nile (not as good as Burqitu), and then headed home for some ice cream....which Sabah went gaga over. That really was the extent of the celebration. Besides the ice cream, it was really just a normal evening. My bosses at work today asked me if I at least got her a cupcake with a candle in it, I said no....they gave me such a hard time about it (jokingly of course), and we all came to the conclusion that I just scarred my child for life and need to put an extra dollar into her "future therapy fund" jar. Believe me, it's not the first dollar I've had to put in there. :)

Sabah had her one year well baby check up today, and it went....WELL! She charmed the pants off of the new doctor (our regular doctor wasn't there today). He said she is very healthy and seems to be like any normal one year old. She weighed in at a whoppin 22 1/2 pounds (up from 19 1/2 pounds from last visit), putting her 50-75 percentile for weight. This girl is also going to be TALL....she measured at 31 inches...up from 27 1/2 inches. This puts her at 90-95 percentile for height!!!! That's my girl (I'm 5'9).

I had made a little wager (with myself), that Sabah would be walking by her first birthday. Well, I lost. HOWEVER, this evening, one day AFTER her birthday, she finally took her first step. It was just one step, but it is the first time she has actually figured out that she needs to move her feet and not just her upper body. It was so cute, and the excitement on her face was priceless. I think that since she made that first step, the rest will come very soon.

Sabah has been off formula and on whole milk for two weeks now. She pretty much made the change herself, as she just decided to stop drinking her formula. Then, yesterday, I took away the bottle (except for her bottle just before bed....I (not her), can't seem to part with that yet). She had absolutely no problems giving up the bottle and LOVES drinking out of her sippy cup....such a big girl.

I also turned the car seat around......she can now see where we are going, and we both enjoy the ride a lot more.

Sabah continues to be a very content, even-tempered baby. She rarely fusses. The things that actually make her cry: 1. If I leave the room 2. If I say "no" to her too sternly...she HATES when I am upset with her. 3. If she sees her food and I don't give it to her fast enough (Yep, she still LOVES to eat) 4. When she hurts herself. Really, other than that, she doesn't cry much. Sure, there are other things that make her cry, but they are not on a regular basis. There is another 1 year old (14 months) in her 'day care' that just is always crying when I pick Sabah up. I don't know how the babysitter can stand it. She says that the child cries whenever she puts her down. YIKES! I'm so thankful that Sabah is such a content baby.

I'm so blessed to have this little one in my life. I had kind of a hard transition to motherhood, but after six months, I am finally starting to really enjoy her....I mean, REALLY enjoy her. She is a bundle of fun, and I have even gotten her to laugh out loud on several occassions now. We have finally molded into a family of two. And with that being said.....I'm already thinking about making us a family of three.

Below are Sabah's one year photos....enjoy.






7 comments:

Jennifer said...

That little girl is a model! That first picture is my fav; simply beautiful and she looks so mature! Not a baby anymore!

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

Tania, the pictures are beautiful! I love the dresses she is wearing. Jacob is turning one tomorrow. How did it happen so fast?? He also got the big boy car seat:o( It broke my heart to do it, but he loves facing forward and is much happier for it. Your little girl is flourishing and thriving. Good work, Mama!

Becky and Naing said...

She is so cute!

veggiemom said...

Happy birthday Sabah!!! Can't wait to hear the possibilities for a future sibling!

Mona said...

She is getting SO BIG - growing up so fast. She is just adorable. I just love her and can't wait to visit again (with her cousin, of course!).

Sam's mom said...

could your girl BE MORE GORGEOUS???? I don't think so. Precious, precious baby!
I LOVE the head scarf...she was MADE for scarves & hats this one.

Rebecca and Andrew said...

I'm just catching up on everyone's blogs! We've gotta catch up, girl!!! You're thinking of baby no. 2? COOL!!!
Love Sabah's pics! Very precious!
Hugs, 'bec