Friday, August 8, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed

On 8/8/08 at 3:00pm (Ethiopian Time), my dossier packet made it to it's final destination!!!! I'm hoping that 8/8/08 will be exremely lucky for me and that I will have a referral soon. Another couple from my agency, who sent their dossier a to ET a week ahead of me, just received a referral for a baby girl (Congratulations John and Leah), so I'm hoping I will be as lucky. Our agency is on the smaller side, so there isn't a huge waiting list, so our referrals come quite a bit quicker than other agencies (some have waiting times of up to 18 months for a baby girl).
On another note, I had dinner with my mom last night at Burqitu and can honestly say I am getting addicted to ET food. We tried the beef tibs this time (we've only had chicken and lamb tibs up to now) and it was really really good. I had Kamso spice it up "just a little bit", and it was PERFECT (for me anyway). Just enough spice to give it a great flavor, but not so much that I'm guzzling a gallon of water.
I know I always mention how blessed I am to have found a friend in Kamso, but I must once again give her a shout out. She so kindly and graciously has invited me to two family weddings. I can't go to the one this Saturday, but I will attend her sister-in-laws wedding on August 23rd. She said it will be a big wedding with lots of Ethiopians from all different tribes. I'm so excited to go (and extremely nervous since I will know no one (except Kamso)). It will give me so much information on ET culture and also hopefully I can make some more ET friends so that when Sprout comes along, she (and I) will feel comfortable being a part of this wonderful community. I truly truly feel blessed. This is an entire culture that I would never have learned anything about if it weren't for my adoption. Just think of what I would be missing out on.
Kamso talked to my mom and I about all her brothers and sisters and their names and the meaning of each of their names and how Ethiopians names always have some special meaning to them. She also said that out of all her brothers and sisters (14 all together) she got the "weird" name. She was born on a Thursday and so her parents named her "Thursday". All her other siblings got names that actually had some special meaning to them. Too funny.
I always love eating at Burqitu and visiting with Kamso. The information she shares with me is invaluable. I just soak up everything she tells me about Ethiopia....and in turn, I will share with Sprout. Such a blessing. Thank you Kamso

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Great news about your dossier! Hope you have a referral soon! Ethiopian food is so yummy - totally addictive.
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby

Robbin Hopkins said...

Wow congratulations! You are moving along well. That's quick for a referral!