Sunday, August 17, 2008

Shots

Back in May I saw my Primary Care doctor to see what kind of travel shots he could administer to me (the more he could do the less I would have to pay for at a travel clinic). Well, he gave me the first shot of Hep A, said he didn't recommend Hep B, gave me a tetnus and an MMR booster and sent me on my way. So, I was doing some research on Yellow Fever and where it was administered and how much it was going to cost, and was not looking forward to shelling out over $100 for the shot. But then I found that the Portland Clinic, who I use to go to, had a travel clinic....AND they billed insurance. So, I went and saw the travel nurse down there and she gave me the Yellow Fever (yowser, that one stung....and I have a very high tolerance for pain), Polio and the first shot of Hep B (she said it was a good idea to get it). And since I now know that I will be travelling to Awassa (4 hours south of Addis Ababa) to see where Sprout was abandoned, she wrote out a prescription for Malari pills and Typhoid pills. Yikes, I've never had so many precautionary shots/meds before travel. But, the last thing I want is to get sick and spend my "maternity" leave trying to get well rather than spending time bonding with Sprout.

So, I'm all ready to go......just need for those courts to re-open.

Now that I know who Sprout is, I've been digging out all the baby equipment that I've purchased. I can't wait to use some of these things. My favorite two are her very cool carseat and hip stroller. I LOVE them both. Her car seat is so comfortable that if I could fit my big fat bootie in it, I'd stick it in the driver's seat and ride around in comfort. heehee.



I can't wait for Sprout to be riding around in this, but until then, the cute baby doll will have to do (don't worry, I'm only nerdy enough to stroll the baby doll around IN the house.....not outdoors for the world to see my quirkiness)

3 comments:

Rebecca and Andrew said...

You crack me up! But the baby doll does look pretty cute riding in the seats! I'm on my last Typhoid pill tomorrow. It was a pain to bring them right home and refridgerate! Whew, it was a scorcher last week.
'bec
PS: Congrats on the Yellow Fever shot! =}

Amber said...

You are so funny! Shots, ugh, I'm dreading that one. I have to have my 12 year get them and she is terrified of needles.
Another step done for you.
Amber

Rebecca said...

Hey neighbor! I just stumbled upon your blog...can't sleep so I'm looking at blogs on the ET yahoo chat group. Anyway, we live in Vancouver WA and came home with our baby girl in April.
While we were waiting to travel I made my husband carry around a cabbage patch doll in our back-pack thingy to "see how she will look"....the things we do! I'm glad to meet you and follow your journey! Rebecca