Thursday, August 28, 2008

Naming Sprout

When I first started this whole adoption process, I thought I had Sprout’s name all figured out. I had a first name that I LOVED, all picked out. The plan then was to use her Ethiopian name as her middle name, or in case that it was ridiculously hard to pronounce, I came up with an African middle name to give her. I was flexible in the sense that I was willing to let her given name be her first name and then my chosen name as her middle, IF I liked her given name well enough.
Well, things don’t always work out as planned (don’t I know that). Sometimes though, the new “path” is better than the old one.
The name I had originally chosen for Sprout was Malia (muh leah) and the African middle name I chose (in case her given name was too difficult to pronounce) was Abeni. Malia, in Filipino, means “beautiful”, and Abeni, in African, means “girl prayer for”. Such a fitting name for this little one who would be coming into my life.
But then I got this sweet precious referral, of this gorgeous girl, who was given the name Saba (saw buh), and everything changed. I went back and forth as to whether or not she should keep this as her first name, or have it be her middle name, and in the end, I have decided that Saba (may change it to Sabah) will be her first name. After all, Saba is who she is. It is what everyone is calling her and what she will be use to. It is also the only thing that she owns that she will get to bring with her.
Now, you might think that my problem is solved. Saba will be the first name and Malia will be the middle name. Well, I thought that too, but I do not like those two names together (in that order), because it sounds like a famous song….a very beautiful song, but not what I want to be reminded of every time I hear it. I’ll give the name of the song at the end of this post, but see if you can figure it out (say it out loud if you have to): SABA MALIA. Everytime I say it, I start singing the song.
I do want her to have an “American” given name, so I was now faced with trying to find something that went with Saba. Now, whether or not this new middle name goes with Saba, I don’t really know (it sounds good to me), but the meaning behind the name is what matters more. I chose this name for personal reasons, as it has very special meaning to me and I’m honored for her to have it. So, without further ado, the name I have chose for Sprout is………..
SABAH ISABELLA
Now, if anyone knows of any cute nicknames I could call her, please feel free to submit your ideas in the comment section.
Oh, and the name of the song Saba Malia reminds me of……Ava Maria. Very beautiful song, but just didn’t want to go with it.

8 comments:

Jen said...

LOVE the name!!!! Congtats on the referral.

Rebecca and Andrew said...

YES! I actually got the song trivia! I'm so happy that you're able to decide on sprout's name! Beautiful name to fit a beautiful princess!
Any boy name idea's? We're completely at a loss! =)

elisa said...

OH MY Goodness! I haven't checked your blog in awhile and you have a referral!!!!! Congratulations!!! What agency are you with? You have to email me a pic if you can we are hymanshouse at yahoo......wow! I am estatic for you!

Rebecca said...

Thanks a lot girl!! Now I have Ava Maria going thru my head. :)
I love the name you picked....it is just perfect!!!

Lori S said...

I love the beautiful name you have picked for your daughter! Wow--I think she'll be a movie star!

veggiemom said...

What a beautiful name!!!
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby

Mrs. Engelhardt said...

I love her name! Isn't it so funny how you have things all picked out then decide not to go with them. We have several items that are monogramed with 'Bennett'. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

hello
saba is a classically beautiful name in ethiopia .it also means "ancient ethiopia". we use to be called sabeans in ancient times .It is as popular as for eg jane in the U.S. it also has a song and here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MmculeyYBw
it goes saba sabina .