Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nicknames

I think all parents must have little nicknames for their children. Some are just shortened versions of their first names. My nephew Elijah is called Eli. Some are just cute pet names. I call Eli "bear". I call Ethan "baby bear". And some nicknames aren't shorter, but actually LONGER than their first names. My sister has recently started calling Ethan "Ethiopia". She use to call him "Ethe" for short, and somehow it turned into "ethiopia". It's actually very cute.

Sabah has an interesting name, and I've been playing around with nicknames I can call her. Of course, I have tried a shortened version: "Sobs" (spelled phoneticallly) and then tried to cute it up with "Sobby", but I'm not thrilled with either of those.

Elijah calls his cousin Sober or Sobers, which is really cute when he does it, but again, I'm not too thrilled with these as nicknames that I can call her.

And Tina's pet name for Sabah is slobers....again, cute when she calls her that, but not something I'm going to label her with.

I finally decided (for now) on two nicknames that I seem to consistently call her. The first is Sabina. There is an Ethiopian song called Saba Sabina and when I was talking to some new Ethiopian friends the other day, they kept calling her Sabina....and it's kind of stuck since then.

The other is Sabella....which is Sabah and Isabella put together.

And now that you read through all my babbling, you are rewarded with photos of my sweet
Sabella.....
She's not crawling yet, but boy is she wanting to. It won't be long now.



Having fun in her jumper



Ummmm, this is just her looking pretty darn cute.



This is her new toy. For all you bargain shoppers...Target is having a killer clearance sale on toys. 75% off. I have her B-day presents and Christmas presents for the next two years and only spent $50.

Her leg muscles are soooo much stronger than when I picked her up in ET. She loves to stand and may be walking before she crawls. :)

1 comment:

Rebecca and Andrew said...

Oh, I'm missing so much!!! I totally feel practically like one of Sabella's (Sabalini??) aunties. I love the standing pic!! She wasn't doing this when I saw her last.
I think you should win the lottery so you can just stay home with her and play all day with the R's and I! (yeah, like I'll really be playing all day. I can only imagine what a mess my house will be in a few more weeks!) =)