Friday, June 27, 2008

Fingerprinting is done

Well, I built up my fingerprinting appointment in my mind to be this wonderfully fabulous and exciting experience, but it turned out to be pretty anticlimactic. Here's the rundown:

5:00am - wake up thinking "YES, I get to fingerprint today"
7:00am - tell boss "I have a very important appointment at 10:00 for fingerprinting"
8:00am - can't really focus on work....excited to get to the appointment. Must watch clock so that I'm not late
9:00am - one more hour. Still must watch clock. Argue with myself about what time I should leave. USCIS is only 7 minutes away (according to google), so I should leave at 9:30. No that's too early. But I don't want to be late. OK, let's compromise (YES, I compromise with myself), I'll leave at 9:35 (ok, not a FAIR compromiser, but at least I budged a little). OK, 9:35 it is
9:35am - YES, I'm outta here. Bye bye boss. Be back soon.
9:42am - Yep, google was right. Wow, now I'm TOO early. Wait, where is the office. I don't see anything here but a little hole in the wall. Oh, THAT's the USCIS office? Hmmm, woulda thunk for my $80 per print they could have a nicer pad. Oh well.
9:55am - OK, I'll go in.
9:56am - Guard greeted me, handed me a paper to fill out, pointed me to waiting area
9:57am - Filled out form, gave back to guard
9:58am-Guard looks it over and tells me to go to desk around the corner
9:59am- Hand my paperwork to "receptionist" He gives me my number (31) amd tells me to have a seat.
10:00am - I sit for literally 1 second and I hear "number 31"
10:00am - sit at desk with person doing fingerprinting. He types info into the screen
10:03am - He finishes with computer and has me stand next to him and takes my prints. All five digets of the left hand together then all five digets of the right hand together. Then he continues to take each digit seperately of the right hand. Was doing fine with the first four (got the green ok light), but when he did the pinky I got the red warning light. So, he takes it again. Same red light. So, he takes it again. Same red light. So he moves on to the next hand???? Huh, what about the warning???? Left hand...all digits get the green light except the index. Same procedure as above....same outcome....Hmmmm, I hope I pass.
10:08am - Done with prints. He gives me my paperwork back and a yellow comment card and says to me to go fill it out, put it in the box and I am done
10:09am - fill out card, put in box, leave.
See, very anticlimactic. But at least it's done.

1 comment:

Rebecca and Andrew said...

You crack me up!! We had the EXACT experience EXCEPT that all 10 prints came out perfect. (Nah nah nah...ha ha just kidding). We were outa there by 9:15. Wish we could have met you but you were still watching the clock at work at that time!
Have a super weekend and stay cool!
Rebecca